Thursday, September 09, 2010

We are not talking about HUMILITY.
We are talking about FEASABILITY.

J, A and D play in very different styles.
A has raised concerns to me over the phone this week that in the past, she is not able to adapt to changes in tempo and styles as requested by the conductor. So my reassurance to her is to play whatever style that she is able to play, and that will be that. If A has a certain style then A has a certain style. Ditto J and D.

If I want a particular style I will support it by sitting down and playing it on the instrument.
Ditto J and A. It is far more important to "walk the talk".

Just as I would never tell Joshua Bell how to play the violin, cos I cannot play the violin. Nor tell Sarah Brightman how to sing, cos I cannot sing.

This is not a case of who is right or wrong, nor glass half full or empty.

It is a case of if A plays it, you are going to get this pattern.
If J plays it, you are going to get another outcome.
If D plays it, it will be yet another effect.
I don't think how we play it is determined by what the conductor calls for, but what we are able to physically produce.

No comments: